Friday, January 15, 2010

“Where are the seeds of my scientific career planted?”



If I were to be a scientist, I would likely be a botanist. A botanist is one who studies plant life and the life cycle of plants. Specifically, this could include going on excursions to catalog and document types of plants, studying plants for medicinal use, etc. Here is an article that shows a recent study involving calming effects of Lavender.

Many schools out there have great programs for Botany and plant studies. One school I found was the University of Purdue, with their program for botany and plant pathology

This field appeals to me because I have always been interested by plants, due to their diversity, and their endless wonders (cheesy. I know). Having a small section of woodland in my backyard, I sometimes find myself comparing trees, flowers, and shrubs. This scientific field matches up with my style of thinking because the plant world is incredibly diverse, and I’m not afraid to tackle a small section of this large field, or even the whole thing! Here is a small database of different types of plants. Again, this is only a small section of the plant world, as these are plants with common English names.

You might say I derive a little of my interest of plants from my grandfather, who was a floral culturist. With me carrying on from his legacy, who is to say my grandchildren won’t as well? This field itself will also carry its own legacy, as the plant world around us has created many foods, medicines, etc., and will continue to forever.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

This post was really interesting, I thought. I really like how you told us that you compare shrubs and trees in your backyard. That shows that you have a real interest for that kind of stuff.

Megan said...

I agree with Sarah. You sound like this really could work for you in the future. Good luck.

c19p73 said...

I will say, I am surprised by your choice of scientist and wanting to be a botanist. Something that was such a neat thing to put in your blog was that Purdue would be a good choice of school for you to attend for your scientist choice. Good job!

stul said...

Wow I've never known anyone that's a botanist but I hope this works out for you so I can know one. This sounds like a really interesting job, and obviously one that you'd enjoy. I agree with Sarah that it was awesome how you told us how you compare shrubs and trees at your house. Good work! Keep it up!

Nikki said...

Nice title! I like how you back up your statement of being a botanist with the everyday situation of your backyard-just like stu and sarah said. It is really cool to think how plants produce some of the best medicines today and wouldn't be discovered without botanists.

spinserve said...

Your title is very clever! I never would have guessed you would want to be a botanist! That is very interesting! I would never have thought of it myself. It's cool that you want to go to Purdue. My brother goes there!

Peace through Anarchy said...

Creative title. This wouldn't have been my first guess!

Wim said...

I thought that the paragraph about your grandfather was a nice personal touch to your thoroughly written blog. For whatever arbitrary reason, I can see you as a botanist (unlike others before me). Maybe it's that I see you as somebody who enjoys the outdoors and would enjoy dealing with the tools nature has provided us. Hope it works out.